Pomegranate fruit has been known as a rich source of Iron and other minerals and nutrients for human body. But did you know that even its peels carry significant amount of nutrients for our plants. Using pomegranate peel as fertilizer will actually solve your problem of disposing them but will also provide your plants with a variety of vital minerals and nutrients. Average nutrient content in Pomegranate peels is Phosphorus 0.003%, Potassium 1.6%, Calcium 0.1%, Magnesium 0.2%, Boron 0.003%, Iron 0.002% and Copper and Zinc at 0.001% each.
How to use?
Use them fresh
Use fresh pomegranate peel for fertigation (fertilizer given with water) of your plants. To do so follow these 4 simple steps;
- Try to chop the peels as fine as possible, this is just to make them easy to grind.
- Use wet grinder jar of your mixer grinder, add some water to the peels and grind them into a fine paste.
- At the end of second step you will get a fine puree of pomegranate peel. Dilute this puree with water, suggested ratio is 1:5, i.e 1 part puree and five parts water.
- Water your plants with this blend.
Have lots of them, preserve peels
Pomegranate peel can be preserved without loosing their nutritional value and can be used year round as fertilizer. To do so follow simple steps;
- Finely chop the peels,
- Choose a nice and sunny spot in your porch, balcony, terrace, garden.
- Spread old news papers at this spot and above these news papers spread the finely chopped pomegranate peels.
- The objective of step 3 is to remove moisture from the peels without harming their nutritional value. For successful step 3 you have to ensure that while drying is in progress fungus do not develop on the peels.
- Once you have nice and dry peels with no moisture content, using a dry grinder of your mixer grinder and grind them into a fine powder.
- Preserve this powder in an airtight container and use all year long.
How to use Pomegranate peel powder?
To use directly make a trench around the trunk of plant (please make trench from a distance of 3 inches from the base of trunk). The depth of the trench should be 1-2 inches. Evenly spread peel powder (approx 20 to 30 grams) in the trench and then back fill it.
It is always advisable to start with small quantities so that you can gauge plants requirement.
Blend with other fertilizer
It can be blended with other mild fertilizer to boost nutrient content. To do this please mix them in the desired ratio and apply immediately. It is highly recommended to make the blend enough for just one time, do not mix and store the blend.
Brew a tea
Tea acts as Foliar spray for plants and is good when you have to cater more plants with limited supply. To make tea, please soak 100 grams (approx. 1/2 of 1/2 pound pack) in 5 liters of water cover the vessel with muslin cloth and keep for 2-3 days in a sunny spot if warm weather, in winter this duration can be extended to 5-6 days. Once the tea is brewed mix this water with other 5 liters of fresh water to make a 10 liter solution and water plants with this. If you wish to dilute it further this can be done.
Which Plants benefit from it?
All plants need Macro and Micro nutrients, Pomegranate peels are a very good alternative when you slowly want to supply nutrients to plants. They lack Nitrogen and hence can be mixed with nitrogen rich fertilizer to augment for this lack.
Other benefits of using Pomegranate peels
Following are benefits other than proving your plants with vital nutrition;
- Pomegranate peels promote living soil, i.e to say they feed the soil microbiology and soil organisms to boost soils capacity to support healthy plant life.
- They promote earthworm population.
- Promotes population of millipedes.
- Pomegranate peels can be safely used as face scrub.
For authentic fertilizer Grade Buy Pomegranate peel Powder from Ecotika India
Do you want to make your Custom fertilizer mix?
- Harpaphe Haydeniana: Yellow spotted millipede is a friend of garden and an indicator of healthy soil.
- Explore more articles from fertilizer library from Ecotika
- Plant Nutrition Handbook